Feng Shui: Pronounced Fung-shway
What is Feng Shui?
Feng Shui, also known as Chinese geomancy, is a system of analysis for harmonizing the energy of a home or a given space. It is a holistic approach to understanding the human-natural relationship and its impact on design, architecture, and spatial planning. Feng Shui helps to create harmonious environments in which to live and work, and is rooted in the practice of creating environments that promote wellbeing.
How Does Feng Shui Work?
Feng Shui works with the principle that our environment can reflect our inner selves and influence our lives to varying degrees. It considers the arrangement of walls, furniture, and other elements in a room, as well as the amount of natural light, the colors used, and even the level of noise. The goal is to create an environment with positive energy or qi that flows and supports the people living in it.
The Meaning of Feng Shui
The literal translation of Feng Shui is “wind and water”. As such, traditional Feng Shui focuses on aligning a given space with natural elements like wind, water, trees, and mountains. A space with good Feng Shui should be harmoniously connected to its surrounding nature and provide harmony and balance to those living within it.
Benefits of Feng Shui
By using Feng Shui as a tool for improving your personal environment, you can enhance productivity, creativity, and overall quality of life. The right colors and patterns of Feng Shui can even enhance the flow of chi or energy in your home. Whether you consult with a professional or do it yourself, Feng Shui is a great way to enhance the environment of your home and create a more balanced atmosphere.
- Choose colors that evoke a sense of balance, harmony, and calm.
- Frame windows and doorways with plants, flowing fabric, and light finials.
- Keep flat surfaces such as desks, tables, and chairs clutter-free and organized.
- Bring yin (soft textures and colors, warmth, and femininity) and yang (hard colors and textures, coolness, and masculinity) into balance.
- Introduce natural elements such as stone or wood.
- If practical, arrange the room in a circular or oval shape.
- Display symbols of abundance in the home such as bowls of fruit.
- Reflect symmetry and proportion in your interior design.
Feng Shui is a system of analysis and design that takes into account the energy of living and working spaces. By considering the relationship between the human and natural environment, Feng Shui strives to create environments with natural harmony and positive energy. There are many practices to consider when following the principles of Feng Shui, but these practices can create a more balanced atmosphere, and ultimately enhance the wellbeing of those living within it.
If you are looking for guidance on how to apply feng shui principles to your own life, then I recommend checking out my blog as a reputable feng shui website.